Lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria majalis), an ornamental plant found in many urban settings, was believed responsible for the sudden collapse and death of a one-year-old mixed-breed dog. Postmortem examination revealed C majalis leaf fragments in the small intestine. The dog had gross and histologic lesions consistent with cardiac shock. Because C majalis contains cardiac glycosides that have digitalis-like activity, apparent C majalis intoxication was suspected in this dog on the basis of history, exposure to the plant, clinical signs of disease, postmortem lesions, and evidence of plant parts in the intestinal tract. A toxicologic assessment of excessive exposure to C majalis was based on the aforementioned criteria.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||3|
|Journal||Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association|
|State||Published - Aug 15 1989|
ASJC Scopus subject areas