Comparative study of R-GemOx and RICE regimens as second-line treatments for refractory or relapsed DLBCL

Huilai Zhang, Huaqing Wang, Kai Fu, Yun Hou, Wei Li, Shiyong Zhou, Lihua Qiu, Zhengzi Qian, Xianming Liu

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Objective: To compare the efficacy and safety of R-GemOx and RICE regimens for treating relapsed or refractory non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Methods: Up to 65 cases with relapsed and refractory diffuse large B cell lymphoma (DLBCL) were randomly divided into two groups. These patients received R-GemOx and RICE regime, respectively. The R-GemOx regimen included rituximab at 375 mg/m 2, ivd, d0; GEM at 1000 mg/m2, ivd, dl, 8; and L-OHP at 130 mg/m2 ivd, d1 at 21 days per cycle. The RICE regime included rituximad at 375 mg/m2, ivd, d0; IFO at 1 g/m2, ivd, d1-d3; Mesna at 400 mg, ivd q8h, d1-d3; CBP AUC = 5, ivd, d2; and Vp-16 at 100 mg/m2, ivd, d1-d3 at 21 days per cycle. Their efficacy and safety were evaluated every two weeks. Results: For the R-GemOx group, complete remission (CR) was achieved in 4 cases (12.5%), partial remission (PR) in 17 cases (53.1%), stable disease (SD) in 6 cases, and progressive disease (PD) in 5 cases. The overall response rate (CR+PR) was 65.6%, and the clinical benefit rate (CR+PR+ SD) was 84.4%. For the RICE group, CR was achieved in 4 cases (12.1%), PR in 16 cases (48.5%), SD in 7 cases, and PD in 6 cases. The overall response rate (CR+PR) was 60.6%, and the clinical benefit rate (CR+PR+ SD) was 81.8%. The main side effect was bone marrow suppression. In the R-GemOx group, leukopenia was observed with 5 cases at grade III and 2 cases at grade IV; anemia was observed with 2 cases at grade III; thrombocytopenia was observed with 5 cases at grade III and 3 cases at grade IV. In the RICE group, leukopenia was observed with 16 cases at grade III and 5 cases at grade IV; anemia was observed with 2 cases at grade III; thrombocytopenia was observed with 5 cases at grade III and 3 cases at grade IV. The gastrointestinal tract reaction in the RICE group was more serious than in the R-GemOx group: 2 cases at grade III and I case at grade IV. Comparison of the side effects in the two groups revealed that R-GemOx was better for neutrocytopenia and gastrointestinal tract reaction than RICE (P < 0.05). Conclusion: R-GemOx is a safer and more effective regimen for treating relapsed or refractory DLBCL, and its efficacy requires observation and research.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1107-1110
Number of pages4
JournalChinese Journal of Clinical Oncology
Volume38
Issue number18
DOIs
StatePublished - Sep 30 2011

Keywords

  • Diffuse large B cell lymphoma
  • Gemcitabine
  • Oxaliplatin
  • Rituximab

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Comparative study of R-GemOx and RICE regimens as second-line treatments for refractory or relapsed DLBCL'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this