Comparison of Resident Operative Case Logs During a Surgical Oncology Rotation in the United States and an International Rotation in India

Paul Kolkman, Mohsin Soliman, Marcy Kolkman, Apollo Stack, T. Subramanyeshwar Rao, Srinivasulu Mukta, Kendra Schmid, Jon Thompson, Chandrakanth Are

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

5 Scopus citations

Abstract

This study compared the operative case log experience between rotations during General Surgery residency in the United States and an international rotation in India. A resident from the General Surgery residency program at University of Nebraska Medical Center participated in an international rotation in Surgical Oncology at Mehdi Nawaz Jung Institute of Oncology in Hyderabad, India for 3 months in 2009. The operative case log of this resident (INT) was compared to those of another resident (US) on a rotation in surgical oncology at the parent institution during the same time period. Both institutions were tertiary care centers. We noted that the INT resident performed a greater number of cases (132) when compared to the US resident (61). The INT resident also performed cases in a wider variety of disease categories such as: head and neck (26 %), gynecology (19 %), breast (14 %) and urology (4 %). In contrast, abdominal cases accounted for 68 % of the cases performed by the US resident with fewer cases in the other categories. The INT resident performed 98 % of the cases by the open approach, whereas the US resident performed only 81 % of cases by the open approach, with the remaining 19 % of cases performed by the laparoscopic approach. The results demonstrate that the INT resident performed a greater number of operative cases when compared to a resident (US) at the parent institution, and performed cases in more diverse disease categories with an emphasis on the open operative approach.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)36-40
Number of pages5
JournalIndian Journal of Surgical Oncology
Volume6
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 1 2015

Keywords

  • Case logs
  • General surgery residency
  • International rotations

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Oncology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Comparison of Resident Operative Case Logs During a Surgical Oncology Rotation in the United States and an International Rotation in India'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this