Hind limb paralysis from electrical shock in three gilts.

D. J. Steffen, D. A. Schoneweis, J. L. Nelssen

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

7 Scopus citations


Three crossbred gilts developed hind limb paralysis attributable to multiple vertebral body fractures after nonfatal electrical shock. Fractures have been reported in swine and other animals that died from electrocution, but in this case, the pigs were not killed, and lesions that suggested electrical shock were not observed. Electrical shock should be considered as a cause of unexplained spinal cord injury in swine in intensive production units, and electrical service to the pens should be carefully checked.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)812-813
Number of pages2
JournalJournal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
Issue number6
StatePublished - Mar 15 1992
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General Veterinary


Dive into the research topics of 'Hind limb paralysis from electrical shock in three gilts.'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this