Initial Experience with Percutaneous im Rodding of the Humeri in Children with Osteogenesis Imperfecta

Leonid S. Grossman, Amber L. Price, Eric T. Rush, Jennifer L. Goodwin, Maegen J. Wallace, Paul William Esposito

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

5 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background: To report a single-center surgical experience treating humeral deformity and fractures in children with osteogenesis imperfecta (OI) using the Fassier-Duval (FD) intramedullary elongating rods. Methods: A retrospective review was conducted between December 2005 and July 2013 of all OI patients who underwent FD rodding with a minimum of 1-year follow-up. All patients were also being concurrently treated with bisphosphonates. Results: Eighteen patients underwent internal fixation on a total of 35 humeri: 7 males and 11 females with an average age of 49 months. Thirty-five procedures were performed using FD rodding, with 5 utilizing only the male portion. Thirty procedures were primary FD implantation and 5 were revisions. Twelve patients had type III OI and 6 patients type IV OI. Indications for surgery included recurrent fracture, severe bowing deformity, and pain. Osteotomy methods included closed osteoclasis, percutaneous, or open osteotomies. Two patients required transfusions during their hospital stay. At our determined endpoint, 23 humeri (65.7%) had acceptable results with a mean follow-up time of 43 months (SD=27) with no revision. The remaining 12 humeri (34.3%) necessitated revision with a mean time to revision of 35 months (SD=29). Reasons for revision included: migration resulting in pain and functional difficulty (8.6%), migration with bowing (8.6%), and hardware failure secondary to trauma (8.6%). In addition, 2 revisions were required for nonunion (5.7%) and 1 for malunion (2.9%). To our knowledge, all other osteotomies performed during surgery resulted in bony union. Conclusions: The use of the FD system for correction of humeral deformity demonstrates a reasonable option to improve comfort and function in children with recurrent fractures and deformity secondary to OI. The FD system allows for decreased revision rates and less morbid instrumentation. Level of Evidence: Level IV - retrospective case series.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)484-489
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Pediatric Orthopaedics
Volume38
Issue number9
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 1 2018

Keywords

  • FD
  • Fassier-Duval
  • OI
  • humerus
  • ostegenesis imperfecta
  • rodding

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Orthopedics and Sports Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Initial Experience with Percutaneous im Rodding of the Humeri in Children with Osteogenesis Imperfecta'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this